Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Books to Drive By

With a couple of long distance solo drives ahead of me this summer, someone suggested that I try listening to audiobooks. A good idea, I thought, so I checked out the selection at Barnes and Noble, but discovered that it was somewhat limited (i.e., mostly bestsellers). Nevertheless, I found a book that I had heard about and was interested in but probably wasn’t going to get around to reading - The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson (subtitled “Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America”). Having lived in Chicago and being a fan of World’s Fairs (having attended two so far), I found the topic interesting.


The experiment proved to be a huge success. The 10-hour drive to and from Ann Arbor, Michigan flew by as I practically raced back to the car after each break to hear the next installment. The story itself was fascinating. I was particularly interested in the story of the fair--its development, architecture, crises, etc.--but the intertwined story of a serial killer who lived near the fairgrounds was also compelling.


For my next trip, I put together a collection of several titles. I successfully completed Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick (“A Story of Courage, Community, and War”) and once again the time flew by, although the book was somewhat disappointing (as I’ll explain in a separate entry). To mix things up, I also brought along a 14-CD Berlitz Spanish course and made it through the first 4 or 5 CDs. (Though don’t ask me to spell much of what I learned, since it was an all-audio course.) I also began a biography of Marlon Brando--Somebody by Stefan Kanfer (“The Reckless Life and Remarkable Career of Marlon Brando”)--but it will take another couple of long drives to get through the next 11 CDs.


I also bought some other titles, which I probably won’t get around to for a while, since I don’t have many long drives planned at the moment: A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut. The Know-It-All by A.J. Jacobs (“One Man’s Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World”). The Giants of Philosophy: Aristotle read by Charlton Heston. Hegel in 90 Minutes (that’s a laugh!) by Paul Strathern.


Some final thoughts: I’ve chosen to concentrate on non-fiction rather than fiction, because you have less control over the experience with an audiobook--you can’t stop it and go over a phrase or short passage whenever you want, something I like to do when I read. Also, the somewhat distracted attention (meaning that I have to focus SOMEWHAT on the driving) I find to be less suitable for fiction. I really like to luxuriate in the world of a novel. I also only select unabridged versions (watch out for the abridged versions also on sale) since I don’t want someone else deciding what I will or won’t find interesting.


So start driving and listening to a book!

No comments: