Friday, January 2, 2009

Gay? No Way?

Is it just my imagination--or bad luck--or is it much harder to get gay-themed material published than non-gay-themed material? In this day and age, I wouldn’t have thought so, but looking back over 2008, I can’t help thinking that this might still be the case. 


By any standards, I had a very successful year on the literary front--certainly the best year I’ve ever had. Five of my short stories were published. One of my short plays was published--and was nominated for the Pushcart Prize. One of my full-length plays was accepted by and presented at a play festival at the Cherry Lane Theatre, and another full-length play was runner-up for a national playwriting award. All good news, right? But when I look more closely at these works, I realize that NONE of them was gay-themed. (All right, the full-length play that was runner-up for a prize had a gay theme lurking in the background.) Meanwhile, my stories and plays in circulation this past year that DID have gay themes didn’t get anywhere. 


Coincidence--or nefarious forces at work?

No comments: