Thursday, November 6, 2008

Infidelity

In both of the plays I mentioned in my last entry -- Fifty Words by Michael Weller and Fault Lines by Stephen Belber -- a major crisis erupts in response to an actual or possible act of infidelity. In both cases, the marriages in question are either destroyed or irreparably damaged by the disclosure. For that matter, infidelity is the major marital crisis explored in many plays, movies, and TV shows. Beyond that, we probably all know people whose marriage or relationship ended when one of the partners was discovered to have had sex with somebody else. Now, indulge me in an exercise in fantasy and imagine a world in which the fact that most people (or, at least, many, many people) are incapable of complete fidelity were acknowledged--as well as the fact that sex becomes a decreasingly important aspect of many if not most marriages as time goes by despite the fact that by most other measures these marriages may be very solid and nurturing. Imagine further that people understood and accepted the “biological” aspect of sexuality--that is, the drive to be fulfilled sexually or to experience the release of orgasm--and had tacit permission to go outside the marriage on occasion to seek that fulfillment. Imagine finally that these outside excursions in no way damaged the marriage.


All of what I describe is at play in many marriages--except the part where spouses have tacit permission to go outside. I read a book called Open Marriages back in the early seventies that made the case for relationships that were more open-minded when it came to sex. I don’t remember the details of the book--it may well have been proposing arrangements I might find objectionable--but the central notion of the book has stayed with me all these years. I also see around me the example of many successful gay relationships (and “marriages” by whatever name) in which there is less of an expectation that the partners will be exclusive all of the time. 


In my play, “Conquests and Migrations” (the latest working title for a work in progress), I envision a future in which spouses have a much more fluid notion about the role that sex plays in their marriage. This occurs after the characters in this fantasy play have “evolved” through other periods in which--in succession--wives are simply used sexually whenever their grunting husbands need to get off; the very notion that a wife has had thoughts about another man is enough to cause the husband to lash out violently; and the discovery of a wife’s (or husband’s) affair leads automatically to divorce. The more enlightened future I envision can’t possibly last, can it? Well, stay tuned--I’m in the process of sorting that out right now.


To see more of my blogs, go to:  http://williamfowkes.com/Site/JOURNAL/JOURNAL.html

Ciao

3 comments:

Deborah Atherton said...

New studies suggest that infidelity occurs in less than 20% of marriages, a statistic which completely astounds me - I'd thought it was more like 50%, which shows my faith in humanity. Infidelity is a theme in a lot of my work - it's such a tricky issue for human beings.

I remember being struck by that book, Open Marriage, at the time, as well, and it was something that seemed very rational and practical in theory - but in the past 25 years, it doesn't seem to me that most relationships work so well without some kind of exclusivity - or at least the illusion or pretense of exclusivity. It's hard for people to share - it's true in the sandbox, and its true when we grow up. I have known some "open" relationships that worked, but they
worked within rules. People have to know themselves really, really well before entering into them.

What's also interesting to ponder is the effect of lying - or lying by omission - on relationships. In theory, I think untruth is corrosive - in practice, it's sometimes the kindest way. The conflict between theory and practice may lie at the heart of this issue. Reason, whether we like it or not, only carries us so far.

Andrew Kaplan said...

I wonder who the new studies were funded by. Somehow the 50% figure seems more likely.

Deborah Atherton said...

Actually, I was doing a bad job of averaging, it should have been 21 or 22%:

From the New York Times, 10/28/08:

University of Washington researchers have found that the lifetime rate of infidelity for men over 60 increased to 28 percent in 2006, up from 20 percent in 1991. For women over 60, the increase is more striking: to 15 percent, up from 5 percent in 1991.

I would still have thought it was low, but who am I to quarrel with the distinguished researchers at the University of Washington?