Thursday, October 2, 2008

Today was a good writing day

We had a great River Writers workshop last week, and as I sat down to work on the new show today, I had the benefits of everyone's comments fresh in my mind. I knew I had to settle my character's ages a little more firmly, and make sure they knew what they wanted in each scene (aside from coffee, which everyone in the show drinks constantly - not unlike a few River Writers!)

I also had the benefit of a great meeting with my composer/collaborator, Allan Jaffe, who suggested I model one of the scenes on a conversation in one of my recent short stories. This worked out very happily - and it would have probably taken me much longer to think of by myself (if I ever did manage to think of it!)

Now all we have to do is figure out how long the show is going to be. The workshop consensus was one act, to be followed by another one act music theater piece in due time. I guess only time will tell (time, inspiration, and deadlines) - but it felt really wonderful to be back to work.

No comments: